2013 Certificate of Excellence

Fodor's Choice 2012

Expedia Insiders' Select

Waimea Town National Trust

HVCB Member

Visit us on FacebookTwitter


Monday, September 15, 2014 2:02 pm HST
CONTACT 808-338-1625
FAYE ESTATE HISTORY

The Fayé Hanalei House has been the favorite summer vacation spot for four generations of Fayés. The two stories, red house was built in 1916 by Kekaha Sugar Plantation manager Hans Peter Fayé for his family as a summer beach house. The family had returned from Norway in 1914 and the beach lots were advertised for sale in a public auction. The auction rules allowed only one lot per bidder. H.P. and his in-law Alexander Lindsay bid on the lots in the middle of the bay. The main house was designed by H.P. to accommodate his family of eight children. It was the first home in Hanalei to have electric power supplied by its own generator and had 6 bedrooms including two larger dormers in the second story. Small closets for trunks off the dormers were rumored to be for the menehunes.





Close to the shoreline, the original house had a separate cottage in the corner of the lot for the servants that accompanied the family on their vacation. There were large double hung windows that dropped into the walls to expose the house to the cool breezes. The house was furnished with white wicker and craftsman style furniture. The family enjoyed the summers spent there. Life at the beach was informal and even the girls wore overalls to holoholo in.

From the beginning, every summer, a whole crowd of plantation folk from around the island would migrate to their beach homes at Hanalei ­ the Isenbergs and Wilcoxes from Lihue, Fayés from Kekaha and Waimea, Baldwins from Makaweli and more. Each would take turns hosting the summer crowd at informal get-togethers. Some of the plantations even had smaller beachfront homes that their employees could use. Hanalei summers were very lively and in the fall, the valley would return to its peaceful state, the beachfront homes empty.





In 1957, a tidal wave swept through the bottom floor and pushed the whole house back to the middle of the property, the upper floor tilted, but remained intact. The smaller garage with its upstairs apartment was destroyed. Alan Fayé brought his workers from Waimea Sugar over to clean up the debris. When the rebuilding took place, the top story of the big house was jacked up where it was (only one door was reportedly damaged) and a new bottom floor was built with a new floor plan.

When it was redesigned after the tidal wave, a cement floor was added to make it easier to clean. New elements, then in fashion, were added to the bottom floor of the house including louvers and a plate glass window. Because the house is further removed from the ocean, it has weathered periods of high surf, but it is more of a hike down to the beach. Out of the scrap wood from the damaged sections, Lindsay Fayé built a new, one bedroom cottage in front of the old garage slab.

The redesigned house still accommodates large numbers of people. Often extended family fills up the house and even when it rains, there is ample room to accommodate the household and friends. The mountain view is awesome and during summer months the sunset over Waikoko is enjoyed from the lanai in the front.



Home | Cottages | Reservation | Weddings | Meetings & Events | Health & Wellness
Resort Information | Contact Us | Site Map
Privacy Policy & Legal Notice Copyright © 2007–2014 | Waimea Plantation Cottages | All rights reserved